Tuesday, February 14, 2006

When did the 'wife-beater' become haute couture?

My wife and I enjoy dining out a couple of times a week, and this past weekend was no different. Like most folks, we have our own usual haunts that we prefer to frequent, but this time we decided to go off the board and do something different. We ended up at Golden Corral, which if you aren’t familiar is a chain of buffet-style restaurants offering ‘home-style’ cooking. The food is generally good but not exceptional, and it offers a fair value for your money. However, it was the environment that begs comment here.

I was raised in the Midwest, with I suppose what I would call ‘typical’ family values instilled in me. My brothers and I were taught how to act in public, what manner of attire is acceptable in public, and how to mind our manners. I also do not remember ever seeing what I am about to detail very often growing up. So, who can tell me –?

When did the ‘wife-beater’ t-shirt become haute couture?

We were told to seat ourselves after paying the cashier and getting our drinks and silverware, and we took a table next to a large family. I couldn’t help but notice that the man seated nearest us had a button-up shirt draped over the back of his chair, like you might place a jacket or coat, and was happily wandering around the buffet in his wife-beater. Not knowing whether to be amazed or appalled at the fashion on display, I turned my attention to making a plate for myself. After being bumped, shoved and ran over by a pack of rabid, unattended children I managed to find my way back to our table with dinner.

I suppose eating at a buffet offers a chance to glimpse at life outside of your own ‘box’ in ways you had neither hoped nor expected to see. My wife and I do tend to ‘people watch’ when we’re out and restaurants can usually offer any number of insights to the lives of others. Among the other things we noticed –

Some people who, even though this was an all-you-can-eat restaurant, were returning to their tables with a single plate piled a foot high with food. Why? Did they know something of an impending mashed potato shortage we didn’t know of? Or were they afraid that their neighbor at the next table would get all the ‘good portions’ and they’d be left to pick at scraps?

Parents who were so engrossed in their own conversation that their children ran wild about the whole dining room, in between tables, along the serving tables. No discipline, no attention, not a care in the world, as if the wait staff were there to double as sitters. We have no issue with children, as we have a 10 year old, but we do appreciate parents who teach their children basic good manners.

People also chose to mill about and hold conversations in the middle of aisles and pathways. While yes, it’s great to run into old friends or family while you’re out, how about moving out of the way? It only takes 1 or 2 Bertha Magoos to stop traffic in most restaurants.

The family with Mr. Wife-Beater also was heard to exclaim ‘kids, ya’ll get to eat REAL food tonight!’ …… As opposed to what? Potted meat? The little plastic food that came with Suzie’s play kitchen set? The only thing I could think of at that moment was ‘Cousin Eddie’ from the Vacation movies. Surely these people can’t be real, but at the Golden Corral it appeared to be a reunion of ‘em……..

Have decent manners and sensibility become something we hope for, instead of expect?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home